Re: [Chicken-users] Egg <-> Chicken version compatibility

From: Andy Bennett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Egg <-> Chicken version compatibility
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:33:54 +0100

Hi,

>>> Now, there's several easy fixes to that (I'm compiling a more recent
>>> chicken from git as we speak), but it's a bad precedent IMHO that people
>>> might install chicken from their system package manager and then find
>>> they can't run Chicken apps. I'd like to be able to confidently say
>>> "Wanna use Ugarit? Install chicken then type 'chicken-setup -s ugarit'
>>> and you're away!" rather than expect people to install from source or
>>> from funny packages.
>> Yes, that would be nice. But chicken-install is not a package manager,
>> it's a tool to install libraries.
>
> That's an interesting distinction to make. Given that it has the
> facility to install executables anyway, what's the difference in your mind?

As far as I can tell this difference is related to how dependencies are
managed. chicken-install only calculates dependencies in one direction.
i.e. When one installs an egg it works out the dependencies for that egg
and ensures that they are installed. If, subsequently, a different egg
is installed that has conflicting dependencies then the original egg
will stop working and one won't find out about it until one tries to use it.

Regards,
@ndy

--
address@hidden