Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-install -n -test

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-install -n -test
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 20:13:59 -0400

Hi John,

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 20:11:20 -0400 John J Foerch <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm writing an egg and I happened to try 'chicken-install -n -test' to
> see if I could run my tests without installing the egg.  This does not
> work in the version of chicken that I'm using (4.6.0 from Debian), so I
> would like to make this a feature request.  When running chicken-install
> from the directory an egg resides in, it would be nice to be able to run
> tests without installing the egg.  This would save the developer having
> to type a sudo password, for example.

Just

  $ cd tests
  $ csi -s run.scm

That's pretty much what chicken-install does behind the scenes.

> Corollary to this, it would be nice, when installing the egg, if the
> tests could run before install, and if a test fails, installation could
> be aborted.

I think that would also require an option to force installation even if
tests fail.

It's worth mentioning that a lot of eggs fail because their tests depend
on some daemon or some special environment setup.  See
http://tests.call-cc.org to have an idea about the general test status.

I'm not totally sure that feature would be convenient in practice.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.  They are always welcome.

Best wishes.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario