Re: [Chicken-users] New project

From: Panos Stergiotis
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New project
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 22:17:39 +0200

On Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:02:05 PM Steve Graham wrote:
> Although I have programmed for decades, I am new to Scheme.  I thought that
> I would use a project I've been contemplating as a help in learning the
> language.
>
> There is a website of scriptures which I wish to download.  Some of the
> webpages, of course, are indices into books and then chapters.  So I would
> need to follow the links until I got to the actual text, which I would
> then file into a database by volume, book, chapter and verse.
>
> I would appreciate any hints as to how to do this.  I'm thinking I would
> need some pointers with downloading web pages, stripping HTML and saving
> to a database.
>
> TIA, Steve
I would download the html using the http-client egg (with-input-from-request
"your-url-here") #f read-string) will give you the reply as string

then use the html-parser egg and (html->sxml ...) function the html tree is
made available as sxml which is just a more scheme'ish form of xml (s-
expression).

then you could use all sxml tools. I'm a fan of xpath so ((sxpath
"//address@hidden = 'foo']/text/()") sxml-doc) from the sxpath egge would be my
choice

check http://api.call-cc.org/doc/ for documentation for all eggs mentioned.