Re: [Chicken-users] A fix for parallel build (gmake -j)

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] A fix for parallel build (gmake -j)
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 13:12:48 -0400

Hi Vitaly,

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 18:45:40 +0300 Vitaly Magerya <address@hidden> wrote:

>> The problem is that the build system is a critical part of CHICKEN and
>> it has to be extensively tested on all platforms.  Testing it is a bit
>> hard, since even if make is finished successfully, it doesn't
>> necessarily means that CHICKEN was built correctly.
>
> Very well. What is the proper procedure then?
> Is there some automated testing setup?

Yes.  You can run "make ... check" for checking the core features and
try salmonella (https://github.com/mario-goulart/salmonella) on the set
of eggs.  See salmonella's README on github for usage examples.

We have a chroot environment for Linux
(http://wiki.call-cc.org/playground) which contains libraries required
to build most of eggs.  It is the same environment as used by
http://tests.call-cc.org.  Maybe something similar can be made for
FreeBSD.

> Anyway, I volunteer to run any tests on FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE amd64.

Excellent.

> I just performed a "gmake -j8" build on 4.7.0 sources patched with [1]
> (which is the same as before but with $^ changed to $< as suggested by
> Moritz Wilhelmy), it appears functional and as far as I can tell
> passes "gmake check" (it doesn't seem to print the success/failure
> statistics at the end though).
>
> Should I try to adopt the patch from ticket 526 to the latest sources
> and repeat the test? I will if this will push the things forward (this
> will happen tomorrow though).
>
> [1] http://tx97.net/~magv/chicken-rules.make.diff

I'd suggest the patch from ticket 526, since it's been tested a little
on Linux and MacOSX, AFAIK.

Best wishes.
Mario
--