Re: [Chicken-users] A fix for parallel build (gmake -j)

From: Toby Thain
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] A fix for parallel build (gmake -j)
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 22:01:07 -0400

On 06/10/11 10:31 AM, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 17:24:36 +0300 Vitaly Magerya<address@hidden>  wrote:

Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
This issue has been addressed by http://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/526

OK, I see.

Any news on that bug? Will the fix be committed any time soon?

(I maintain the FreeBSD port for chicken, and some people are asking
why is it that the port doesn't build in parallel mode, hence my
interest in the matter).

The problem is that the build system is a critical part of CHICKEN and
it has to be extensively tested on all platforms.

I can test on Solaris 10 SPARC SMP and OS X SMP (PowerPC/Intel).

> Testing it is a bit
hard, since even if make is finished successfully, it doesn't
necessarily means that CHICKEN was built correctly.

We'd be changing a critical part that works just for the sake of
speeding up a process that is rarely executed (the build process).

Alex fully addressed this point. ;)

That said, I'd really like to see parallel builds working.  They can be
very useful for debugging (e.g., when comparing several chicken
versions/commits, git bisecting).

It also gives more confidence that the Makefile is correct.

--Toby

Best wishes.
Mario