Re: [Chicken-users] Few questions from chicken newbie

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Few questions from chicken newbie
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:07:27 +0200

Hi Serg,

* Serg Kozhemyakin <address@hidden> [111017 08:50]:
> Hi ppl,
>
> i'm new with chicken and scheme at all but always wanted to get some real
> impression about scheme. so i started small toy project -- cli tool for
> managing running rtorrent instance on my synology ds, and during
> implementation of it i encountered few questions and maybe someone will be
> able to clarify them:
>
> 1) number->string behaves different on arm and x86. on arm it adds ".0" to
> unix time after conversion. is it suppose to be so?

On my x86 (64bit) it does this too:
#;1> (number->string (current-seconds))
"1318834910.0"

Is your arms time correct? Maybe the seconds fit in a fixnum so
there won't be a flonum output? (I think this is what happens).

> 2) is it possible to build "real" static binary? i tried -static flag of
> csc, it built static binary but when i started it -- it reported something
> that can't load coops and crashed. don't remember exact message, can
> copy/paste it later.

Well at least with extensions officially static linking is no longer
supported because most egg authors don't care or don't test their
extensions against statically linking. But it is still possible to
do so. Check the unit section of the manual (maybe even an older
version if it is already gone). However, I would advise against
doing so before you haven't gotten a good understanding of scheme
and chicken.

> 3) is it possible to build standalone win binary?

You will always need the chicken runtime for your program.  You can
bundle it together with your app.  See the -deploy option and the
section about deploying in the wiki/manual. Maybe that will also
solve your problem at 2) since it bundles all DLLs necessary into
one directory.

HTH,

Christian

--
Who can (make) the muddy water (clear)? Let it be still, and it will
gradually become clear. Who can secure the condition of rest? Let