[Chicken-users] Parallel build, again

From: Vitaly Magerya
Subject: [Chicken-users] Parallel build, again
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:49:39 +0200

Hi, folks. I'd like to bug you once again about the change to add
support for parallel build (i.e. building chicken with gmake -j). We
discussed this last month [3], but didn't reach any conclusion. This
was also discussed in ticket 526 [2], which is still open.

Anyway, the patch applicable to the latest sources is at [1] (it is an
adaptation of the one posted in [2]).

I tested the patch with -j4 on a FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 machine: it builds
fine (including the bootstrap) and passes gmake check (sans the
deployment test, which I wrote about earlier today). I repeated the
whole build+check process a few times, so I'm pretty sure it works in
a stable way. I also run salmonella against a few randomly selected
eggs: all of them pass their tests.

So my question is: can we get this change committed, preferably before 4.8.0?

[1] http://tx97.net/~magv/chicken-parallel-build-2011-11-19.diff
[2] http://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/526
[3] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-users/2011-10/msg00025.html