Re: [Chicken-users] Deployment test failure (latest sources, FreeBSD)

From: Vitaly Magerya
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Deployment test failure (latest sources, FreeBSD)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 19:58:52 +0200

Christian Kellermann <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Since it doesn't work for you on OpenBSD, I propose to test it on
>> NetBSD and DragonFlyBSD too, and then commit a similar patch that
>> would only add "-Wl,-z,origin" where it is know to work.
>
> Yes, that has been my intention.

Cool.

>> In any case, I'll try to get virtual machines with those systems going
>> in a day, and will report back (if no-one will beat me to it).
>
> Looking forward to it! I am glad that we get -deploy to work on
> more systems again.

Here are my findings.

DragonFly does not seem to support $ORIGIN. I can build executables
with $ORIGIN in RPATH, but it is ignored (with or without
-Wl,-z,origin), the system-wide library is always used instead.

NetBSD supports $ORIGIN but only partially. I can build executables
with that in RPATH, and ldd shows that library resolution works
correctly, but when I try to run the resulting executable I get this
error:

    execname not specified in AUX vector: No such file or directory

Strangely, but it works correctly when you invoke the executable by
it's full path.

On FreeBSD, as I said earlier, setting RPATH to $ORIGIN and adding
-Wl,-z,origin works as it should.