[Chicken-users] Correct behavior of SRFI-1 any

From: Nick Zarr
Subject: [Chicken-users] Correct behavior of SRFI-1 any
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:01:28 -0600

I'm writing an implementation of SRFI-1 in _javascript_ (just for fun) and I have a question about SRFI-1's any procedure.  In the docs it says that "(any) does not return a simple boolean (#t or #f), but a general value", however it also says that any must be called with a "procedure taking n arguments and returning a boolean result".

I've been testing my implementation against Chicken for correctness and here's what I get on Chicken:

#;2> (any (lambda (x) (if (even? x) x)) '(1 2 3))
#;3> (any (lambda (x) (even? x)) '(1 2 3))
#t
#;4> (any even? '(1 3 5))
#f

For #3 and #4 any correctly returns #t and #f respectively.  However for #2 shouldn't any return 2 instead of, what I'm assuming is, (void)?  What is the correct behavior here?

From SRFI-1:

any pred clist1 clist2 ... -> value

Applies the predicate across the lists, returning true if the predicate returns true on any application.

If there are n list arguments clist1 ... clistn, then pred must be a procedure taking n arguments and returning a boolean result.

any applies pred to the first elements of the clisti parameters. If this application returns a true value, any immediately returns that value. Otherwise, it iterates, applying pred to the second elements of the clisti parameters, then the third, and so forth. The iteration stops when a true value is produced or one of the lists runs out of values; in the latter case, any returns #f. The application of pred to the last element of the lists is a tail call.

Note the difference between find and any -- find returns the element that satisfied the predicate; any returns the true value that the predicate produced.

Like every, any's name does not end with a question mark -- this is to indicate that it does not return a simple boolean (#t or #f), but a general value.

(any integer? '(a 3 b 2.7))   => #t
(any integer? '(a 3.1 b 2.7)) => #f
(any < '(3 1 4 1 5)
       '(2 7 1 8 2)) => #t