Re: [Chicken-users] with-input-from-request does not close SSL socket

From: obscuroloconato
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] with-input-from-request does not close SSL socket
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:27:24 +0100

2011/12/16 Peter Bex <address@hidden>:

> This could be done, but adding finalizers to them would cause quite a
> performance hit, and it wouldn't *really* fix anything.  It would just
> sweep the problem deeper under the rug.  For example, if you open a
> lot of files in a program that doesn't do any (or much) allocating, the
> GC wouldn't be triggered and you would start getting "out of
> filedescriptors" errors.

Your problem is, that you talk about a garbage collector but think
about a memory collector. A memory collector gets called when the
system is out of memory. But a garbage collector must be called when
the system is out of resources. So a file descriptor collector must be
called if the system is out of file descriptors and not when the
system is out of memory.

Common Lisp has it:
http://common-lisp.net/project/cmucl/doc/cmu-user/extensions.html#toc34

And as far as I can see by a quick check it seems to work.