[Chicken-users] Book recommendations - Re: need to get started

From: Toby Thain
Subject: [Chicken-users] Book recommendations - Re: need to get started
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:48:08 -0500

On 15/01/12 5:16 AM, Pedro Henrique Antunes de Oliveira wrote:
No "easy" tutorial on getting started with chicken (as far as I know),
but if you mean "getting started with scheme", then there are some
books: The Screme Programming Language (3ed), Structure and
Interpretation of Computer Programs, The Little Schemer, The Seasoned
Schemer.

And "Programming in Scheme", Abelson and Eisenberg.

Check out schemers.org too.

Functional programming books in general should help. Although scheme
is not purely functional, I (and most people if I am not wrong) do
mostly functional programming style.

Definitely. One book that I found helpful is "Functional Programming Application and Implementation" by Peter Henderson.

--Toby

Honnestly, since Scheme (I think this is true for any lisp language)
is pretty much multi-paradigm, once you learn the syntax and the
language features (which doesn't add up to many things in Scheme), you
can "import" good ideas from other languages into here (Structure and
Interpretation of Computer Programs should give you a very good idea
on this).

About chicken specifically, you should check the website, the user
manual. The first sections can work as some sort of introduction to
the software.