Re: [Chicken-users] Installing on Mac OS 10.7.3

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Installing on Mac OS 10.7.3
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:26:11 -0600

Use these instructions instead, from the stability branch.
http://code.call-cc.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=chicken-core.git;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=1144d803cc214758be60ba09ae4de34ebff7cb63

In short,
$ make PLATFORM=macosx C_COMPILER=gcc-4.2

This works with XCode 4.2 on Lion.  If this works without hanging, you're done.

If you have already upgraded to XCode 4.3, then they have removed plain gcc completely and this will fail.  In this case you will need a couple patches to enable compilation with LLVM, which are not yet in the core:  https://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/771

Also, you will need to build using the latest master or, probably better, latest stability/4.7.0 from git.  There are a couple of other critical LLVM patches which are in master and stability/4.7.0 HEAD, but not in the 4.7.0.4-st stability tarball yet.

Sorry for the complicated instructions, but Apple very suddenly dropped regular gcc recently and we haven't integrated the fixes into an easy build yet.

Jim