[Chicken-users] Creating my own extensions

From: Mark Carter
Subject: [Chicken-users] Creating my own extensions
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 16:57:11 +0000

I'm a bit confused about how to create extensions. I have the following
files in an mccsl directory:

mccsl.setup:
(compile -s mccsl.scm)
(install-extension 'mccsl "mccsl.so")

 mccsl.scm:
(module
 mccsl ( define-simple-syntax)
 (import scheme)
 ... ;; lots of definitions
)

I have managed to load and use the library using csi, but creating a
proper extension seems to not work.

For starters, there is no exe named chicken-setup in Debian, although
there is a chicken-install. The following wiki page suggests that there
should be:
http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/3/chicken-setup#install-program

 If I type
chicken mccsl.setup
it creates an mccsl.c file, but not an mccsl.so file. I'm thinking that's
wrong??

So, there doesn't actually seem to be a way of installing a home-
brewed extension. chicken-setup doesn't exists, and the install-
extension function doesn't seem to install the extension. Presumably
I'm making some schoolboy errors.

I'm using the following version of chicken:
CHICKEN
(c)2008-2011 The Chicken Team
(c)2000-2007 Felix L. Winkelmann
Version 4.7.0
linux-unix-gnu-x86 [ manyargs dload ptables ]
compiled 2011-09-06 on murphy (Linux)