Re: [Chicken-users] amb egg bug/confusion

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] amb egg bug/confusion
Date: 19 Mar 2012 20:40:47 +0100

On Mar 19 2012, Matt Welland wrote:

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:55 AM, Alan Post <address@hidden>wrote:

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 01:38:19AM +0100, Thomas Chust wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 18:23 -0600, Alan Post wrote:
> > [...]
> >   (pretty-print (let ((s (amb 0 1 2))) (amb-collect s)))
> > [...]
> > produces:
> > [...]
> >   (0)
> > [...]
>
> Hello,
>
> to me this behaviour looks correct. amb-collect is supposed to > collect all the different values its argument can take on, but in your > example s is not an ambivalent expression -- the fact that s is bound > to a value produced by amb only makes the let expression ambivalent.
>
> To phrase it more technically: Every amb-collect creates a new > dynamic scope for backtracking. Any ambivalence introduced in that > dynamic scope will be resolved and the results will be collected but > any outer dynamic scope will not be affected.

Thomas, John,

Thank you both very much.  I did manage to start properly using the
amb egg, and completed a one-off homework assignment:

https://github.com/alanpost/permaculture-design-course/blob/master/guild/README

amb is very neat.  I'll likely throw larger datasets and more
interesting constraints at it as I continue to explore this
problem space.

Wow, another permaculturist on the chicken scheme list, what is the
probability of that? I got my design certification just over a year ago.
Nice work on the guild design! Do you have further plans for the code?

Wow!  I'm not a permaculturist.  I just got introduced to the site.

@Alan: nice work, really!

What kept me reading: if permacultures "ecological design system for sustainability in all aspects of human endeavor" where taken literally and "software development" where taken as one "aspect of human endeavor" then the whole idea of naming a compiler "chicken" should raise the probability of users relating to permacultural ideas far above any doubt that Felix is the one to be hanged for gathering this type of persons. ;-)

(Saying so, because askemos.org is nothing but the same idea:
permaculture; for the persistent data in Askemos case,
compiler in chickens case. So I might have been driven here by the same
force.)

/Jörg

-Alan
--