Re: [Chicken-users] amb egg bug/confusion

From: Alan Post
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] amb egg bug/confusion
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:28:10 -0600

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:05:19PM +0100, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> On Mar 19 2012, Alan Post wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 09:18:29AM -0700, Matt Welland wrote:
> >>   On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:55 AM, Alan Post
> >A local-to-me ecologist is interested in sitting down and
> >brainstorming, I hope something interesting comes of that.
> >
> >-Alan
>
> Alan, now I you made me curious.
>
> Which of the ecologists is going to sit down?
>
> Will the result relate more to plants?
>
> Or is the egg system going to get a layer where one can bind
> those tentative identifiers used within the implementation
> of the importing module by specifying constraints instead of
> source locations upon import?
>
> I'd love it!

The things I found myself wanting:

 + I wanted to know why some elements were excluded.  What
   constraints were filtering which plants?  Basically: why
   did my final group represent only a fraction of my available
   plants?  I wanted reporting data that I could see and play
   with.
 + I wanted a constraint library.  stuff like "require one of
   a set to have a property with value foo." and "require every
   element of this set to have the property value foo."  But also
   "ensure 4 out of 5 property values are present."  I can see
   myself developing this library if I use amb more.
 + I wanted to compare runs when I had different constraints.  I'm
   confused on what exactly I want to compare: mostly I think I
   want to store the output along with the set of constraints in
   a notebook so I can refer to previous explorations.

Any work I do here is pretty likely to be specific to my problem
domain (plants), but perhaps something general would emerge.

You've probably never heard of the ecologist, he's pretty obscure
(hehe, I think it's a student at my local uni, but I'm not sure,
we haven't met in real life.)

-Alan
--
.i ma'a lo bradi cu penmi gi'e du