Re: [Chicken-users] ANN: Lowdown, a pure Chicken Markdown parser

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ANN: Lowdown, a pure Chicken Markdown parser
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 19:36:49 +0200

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 07:27:48PM +0200, Moritz Heidkamp wrote:
> Fellow Chickeneers,
>
> yesterday I released the first version of Lowdown, a Markdown parser
> written in pure Chicken Scheme. The only other Markdown parser egg we
> had so far, discount, requires the corresponding C library and can only
> read and emit strings. Lowdown doesn't have any foreign dependencies,
> can read from strings or input ports (well, any lazy-seq of chars,
> really) and emits SXML.

So it's parens all the way (low)down....  Great work, Moritz!

> It passes all 22 tests of MarkdownTest version
> 1.0.3. I also started implementing a very basic extension API but that's
> not ready for public consumption, yet. For more information, check the
> documentation at the usual place: http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/lowdown

"Unlike the discount parser (and the original Markdown.pl for that matter)
 it passes all 22 tests of the MarkdownTest suite"

And I seem to recall you mentioned it's faster than the original
Markdown.pl too.  Man, those guys are probably crapping their pants now.
Perl, whipped by Scheme at its own game of text processing :)

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx