Re: [Chicken-users] Problem with uuid-lib egg

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Problem with uuid-lib egg
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:18:30 -0400

Hi John,

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 16:47:12 -0400 John Maxwell <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm writing some code which needs to generate uuids, so naturally I
> turned to the uuid-lib egg. My problem is, the egg needs libuuid.so
> (since the egg is basically a thin wrapper around that library), and
> this is causing me headaches.
>
> When I compile my code, I add -luuid to the csc link command, like so:
>
>     csc -o my-app my-app.o more-code.o -luuid
>
> and all is well. However, I also need to run the same code using csi
> (for unit testing purposes), and this doesn't work so well; csi
> segfaults out the first time that I try to call any of the uuid
> functions.

I don't know if it is related, but uuid-lib's tests fail:
http://tests.call-cc.org/master/linux/x86/2012/08/17/salmonella-report/test/uuid-lib.html

> Obviously, I could rebuild csi to link against libuuid (or play games
> with using the ELF utilities to modify the binary and add libuuid to
> it's dependencies), but this feels... wrong.
>
> Is this a bug in the egg (i.e., should the egg take care of pulling in
> libuuid)? Or is it inherent in the design of Chicken? Or... what?
>
> Suggestions, workarounds, etc. deeply appreciated.

If you intend to take a deeper look at that issue, maybe you can take a
look at the egg's source.  You can obtain it with chicken-install or
with svn (includes VCS history):

- with chicken-install
  $ chicken-install -r uuid-lib

- with svn
  $ svn --username=anonymous --password= co
http://code.call-cc.org/svn/chicken-eggs/release/4/uuid-lib

Best wishes.
Mario
--