Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken 4.8.0 release candidate 4 now available

From: Andy Bennett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken 4.8.0 release candidate 4 now available
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:05:40 +0100

Hi,

> The fourth and hopefully final release candidate for the upcoming
> release 4.8.0 of Chicken is now available at the following URL:
>
> http://code.call-cc.org/dev-snapshots/2012/09/15/chicken-4.8.0rc4.tar.gz
>
> The list of changes in this release is available here:
>
> http://code.call-cc.org/dev-snapshots/2012/09/15/NEWS
>
> Please try out this release candidate in the next few days and let us
> know if you encounter any bugs. Thanks to all who have been patiently
> testing the release candidates.

I started with 4.7.0 in /usr/local and installed 4.8.0rc4 over the top
of that.

An existing binary that I was interested in segfaulted so I rebuilt it
and all the eggs it directly depended on but it continued to segfault.

One of the eggs was producing this when 'use'd before the rebuild:
-----
csi: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/chicken/6/iset.so: undefined
symbol: C_fixnum_divide
-----

...but the rebuild fixed that.

Another was segfaulting and continued to segfault on 'load'. I narrowed
it down to this repro case in the interpreter:

-----
#;1> (use environments)
#;2> (define widget-eval-env (make-parameter (environment-copy
(scheme-report-environment 5) #t)))
-----

Using Mortiz's rewrite branch of the environments egg:
https://anonymous:@code.call-cc.org/svn/chicken-eggs/release/4/environments/branches/rewrite/
... stops the segfault.

I can get a binary out but it throws an exception somewhere it didn't
used to:

-----
unbound variable
##sys#list
-----

...and my debugging efforts so far point to a problem with eval and an
environment from the environments egg.
I'm still debugging with the help of people in IRC.

This was on Debian Squeeze (stable) on x86-64

I also noticed some Ctrl-D weirdness in the interpreter: it used to
consistently exit but now it's intermittent.

Should we be incrementing the egg ABI version number if eggs require
rebuilding?

Regards,
@ndy

--