Re: [Chicken-users] Spiffy FastCGI Support

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Spiffy FastCGI Support
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:26:56 +0200

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:17:43AM +0100, Andy Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is a patch to the spiffy egg (as per 'chicken-install -r
> spiffy' just now) which adds a FastCGI handler.

Wow, that's an impressive piece of work!

Unfortunately it is also a lot of code (and C code!), and adds a few
new dependencies to Spiffy that weren't neccessary before, and it
doesn't work on Windows due to fork() and possibly other stuff.
How about a separate "spiffy-fcgi" egg?

For everyone who doesn't know yet: I've been planning to get rid of
almost all the handlers in Spiffy (making it a pure web server "engine").
A separate egg would be a great place to put together (f|s)?cgi-handlers.
We could put the regular CGI handler in there too.

I'm still considering dropping the ws-handler and ssp-handler altogether.
If anyone's actively using this, it could be put in a separate
"dynamic-file-based-handlers" egg or so.

These handlers are all pretty special-purpose use of Spiffy, and I'm
not using them myself anymore (and most dynamic webdev other people do
has moved towards awful), which means they will eventually fall into
disrepair, if they haven't already.  They also clutter up the
documentation a lot, resulting in confusion for newbies, and are badly
tested.

Cheers,
Peter
--