Re: [Chicken-users] Spawn process from a thread (ie in awful)

From: Thomas Hintz
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Spawn process from a thread (ie in awful)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:01:33 -0700

Hehe, of course! Thanks Peter!

On Oct 23, 2012 7:01 AM, "Thomas Hintz" <address@hidden> wrote:

Hehe, of course! Thanks Peter!

On Oct 23, 2012 6:27 AM, "John Cowan" <address@hidden> wrote:
Peter Bex scripsit:

> I think this is normal Unix behavior; you need to set up a new process
> group to avoid getting killed if the parent is killed.

Not so.  A process being killed never automatically kills any other
process in the Posix process model.  Process groups exist to make it
easy to send a signal to a bunch of processes simultaneously, so it
makes sense to put a daemon in its own process group.  Similarly,
sessions (which consist of one or more process groups) exist to
regulate which processes get signals from the keyboard driver.
You don't want daemons to get those signals ever, so you put them
in their own session.  But even if you don't do those things, the daemon
will still live on.

--
John Cowan <address@hidden>             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
The peculiar excellence of comedy is its excellent fooling, and Aristophanes's