Re: [Chicken-users] Question about procedure type annotations

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Question about procedure type annotations
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 04:06:58 -0400 (EDT)

From: megane <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:54:09 +0300

> Hi!
>
> Below is an example that fails.
>
> Is this expected behavior? It feels a bit redundant to use 'assume' for
> the parameter 'a' as the type for the procedure has already been
> declared.
>
> (: foo (fixnum -> undefined))
> (define (foo a)
>   (cond-expand
>    (compiling
>     (compiler-typecase a
>       (fixnum #t))
>     (else #t)))
>   (print a))
>
> ;; Error: in toplevel procedure `foo':
> ;;   (test1.scm:2) no clause applies in `compiler-typecase' for expression of
> type `*':
> ;;     fixnum

Nothing prevents me from doing

  (foo "123")

The procedure can not expect to be always called with correctly typed
arguments, from any possible call-site. The flow-analysis is
intraprocedural and goes not beyond procedure boundaries. You can use
the "-strict-types" option to declare that "foo" will indeed be called
with correctly typed arguments - your example should work with that
option, but calling it with other argument types will result in
undefined behaviour at run-time.

"assume" overrides whatever type-information is available from
flow-analysis (as does "the").

One direction would be to generate type-checks at entry to a
procedure with declared argument types, and I'm currently
working on something related. This would have a run-time cost,
but the arguments would than be known to be correct. I'm
not sure yet what is best.