Re: [Chicken-users] Installing the SDL Egg on OSX Montain Lion

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Installing the SDL Egg on OSX Montain Lion
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:13:20 +0100

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:30:25PM -0300, Stephen Eilert wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> Before I don the full diving suit, I'd like to know if any of you have
> pointers regarding building the SDL egg on OSX.
>
> I am doing some experiments which depend on SDL and Cairo which are both
> easy to install under Linux. But this is my main dev machine and I'd really
> like to get it working properly.
>
> Cairo was complaining about xcb-shm or something, which I fixed by setting
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig
>
> No such luck with SDL. I have tried installing and linking SDL with
> homebrew (actually, all packages with SDL on their names, to be sure: brew
> install sdl sdl_gfx sdl_image sdl_mixer sdl_net sdl_rtf sdl_sound sdl_ttf),
> then compiling the SDL egg. It gives me the linker errors below.
>

> So I am not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

It looks like it simply can't find the library.  The commandline
it's invoked with is -L/usr/local/lib, and Chicken itself is in some
weird "Cellar" directory isolated from where SDL lives.
That said, I don't know how Homebrew works so it may set up symlinks
so everything lives under /usr/local?

Anyway, if SDL has no pkg-config to figure out the correct linking
flags and the defaults aren't okay, you'll need to tell it how to do
the linking yourself:

CSC_OPTIONS='-L/usr/local/Cellar/sdl_net/2.8.0/lib' chicken-install sdl

Or some such.

Cheers,
Peter
--