Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken Scheme for mobile devices?

From: Arne Eilermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken Scheme for mobile devices?
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:11:01 +0100

Hi there,

first of all I'd like to introduce myself, because this is my first posting on
this list and it's kinda not mine at all. :-)
The last years ruby was my everyday programming language and it still is. But
my new job at bevuta and a few people around this company brought me to
chicken, which I'm now learning.

My company just chose me to be some kind of a chicken communication minion, so
the rest of this mail is more like bevuta speaking to you.

A few words on the company: The bevuta IT GmbH is a software company based in
cologne, Germany. We are like 10 Geeks in an office to which Moritz Heidkamp –
you may know him – in 2010 brought chicken. We did a few smaller project in
chicken but now the first bigger one knocks on our door.

This project involves the development of a framework to create cross platform
GUI applications in chicken on Android and iOS. The bindings for JNI to access
Android's API is mostly done. The next step will be doing something like that
for iOS. With this bindings we want to create an abstraction layer to get a
common interface.
All of this is part of a bigger commercial and proprietary contract work, but
the emerging framework shall be released to the community.

We already got some experiences with chicken on mobile devices. In 2011 we did
some OpenGL stuff on Android and iOS. Moritz was significantly involved in
this. It was mostly experimenting, but it did quite well.

If anybody of you is interested to join, feel free. We would be glad.

Kind regards,
Arne