Re: [Chicken-users] How can I check a new build of chicken?

From: John Long
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] How can I check a new build of chicken?
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 18:22:43 +0000

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 07:10:51PM +0100, Christian Kellermann wrote:
> * John Long <address@hidden> [121115 19:03]:
> >
> > Hey Christian,
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 06:18:43PM +0100, Christian Kellermann wrote:
> >
> > > That version is way outdated. There is a more recent chicken port in
> > > the WIP ports git tree.
> > >
> > > Regardless of that chicken builds just fine on the loongson. I am running
> > > it there myself.
> >
> > Oh cool, another loongson owner! What OS are you running?
>
> OpenBSD of course :)

Awesome! How about patching the port for 5.2 to use 4.8.0 and pthreads? ;-)

> Well the chicken core itself has GCC and gmake as a dependency. The
> extensions are not tracked by either port. So you wouldn't gain much.

It also has libpthread, libc (okay) libffi, and libm if I am reading things
right. Those are the ones I was more worried about. gcc doesn't change much,
as you know. But there are about two dozen autoconfs and gmakes.

> Also note that in order to run make check you will need to install
> chicken first, as there are some tests that require the runtime and
> other things to be in place.

My modified port did build and install in /usr/local. But after the port
builds I don't know if the normal chicken build tree exists. That's why I
didn't know if I could run the normal tests after that. Can you think of an
easy way, given chicken is already installed in /usr/local? Or should I just
bag it and go on?

> If you are afraid of that you can choose a PREFIX in /tmp or somewhere
> convenient. Just make sure that the PREFIX matches on each invocatoin of
> make. Also see the README on details.

Are you saying this about the 4.8 build? I'm not worried about that since I
build everything from source on Linux without a package manager or ports
system (Slackware). On OpenBSD I try to play by the rules because I know
I'll get no help if I deviate ;-)

> You can save yourself most pains if you start from the WIP:
>
> https://github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip/tree/master/lang/chicken

> > Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!
>
> No problem, I do hope you get started quickly!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Christian

Thanks a lot Christian.

/jl