Re: [Chicken-users] hash table questions

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] hash table questions
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:17:02 +0100

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 07:56:31PM -0500, Claude Marinier wrote:
> Greetings fellow Schemers,

Hello again,

> Having established in a previous post that using a u8vector as a key for a
> hash table is expected to work, I have some specific questions.
>
> I am still learning how to post questions properly. I hope this is clear
> and contains enough information.

Don't worry too much about it.  I just wanted to let you know so that
you don't get yelled at on other lists (some people can be even ruder
in their replies).

> By the way, how can I make the included code display properly? In Mozilla
> Firefox, it uses a proportional font.

You're probably using the gmail web interface... You can probably select
to use "plain text" instead of mail with markup somewhere.  It's
generally better to use a proper offline client; you'll have more control
over how exactly the mail gets sent.  It should be possible to do that
even with gmail.

> 1) Is using a hash function other than the default worth the trouble?

No, the default should be fine.

> I define the hash table this way.
>
> (define IPv4-table
>   (make-hash-table IPv4-addr= (make-fixnum-bounded-hash FNVAHash)))

I hadn't noticed you're using the hashes egg (you did mention that
in your previous mail.  I was just too confused to notice).  Did
you try using just srfi-69?  It's best to only use a separate egg if
you have specific requirements that the core doesn't address or if
the egg provides enough convenience to warrant the dependency.

Kon mentioned something about FNVAHash not hashing properly with
u8vectors.  The core srfi-69 implementation ought to do that fine.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx