Re: [Chicken-users] Question about embedding Chicken scheme

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Question about embedding Chicken scheme
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:40:09 +0100

* Julian Day <address@hidden> [130120 16:40]:
> On 20/01/2013 3:38 AM, Christian Kellermann wrote:
> >This is an excellent question! Yes, you can use chicken as an
> >embedded scripting language for your game. The manual has a section
> >dedicated to that topic (embedding not games unfortunately):
> >http://api.call-cc.org/doc/foreign/embedding

> Thanks - I've looked at that, and was glad to see that embedding was
> well-supported.  It also looks like Visual Studio isn't a problem?
> I've looked at some other Schemes for embedding, and I've seen
> Windows (cygwin) at least once, which isn't an option.  I'm using
> Visual Studio in Windows and g++ in FreeBSD for my development, so I
> want to ensure that both are supported without too much trouble.

AFAIK we currently support mingw / cygwin on windows only. It still
may be possible to compile chicken with it (I think this used to
work a long time ago), but we lack the resources to support it. So
you will enter uncharted territory here.

> Will do.  I've still got some tasks on my to-do list before I look
> at getting Scheme support added, but it's coming up soon.  My plan
> is to document my experiences as I go.  Hopefully this will provide
> some help for anyone else thinking of using Scheme as an embedded
> game language.

I am looking forward to reading about your experiences!

Kind regards,

Christian

--
In the world, there is nothing more submissive and weak than
water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong, nothing can