[Chicken-users] The odd case of the channel egg's tests failures

From: Moritz Heidkamp
Subject: [Chicken-users] The odd case of the channel egg's tests failures
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:28:53 +0100

Fellow Chickeneers,

I'm turning to you because I have no idea how to continue with analyzing
a very odd behavior of my channel egg's test cases. Basically, they have
been failing on Salmonella from the very beginning with this error:

  [panic] out of memory - heap full while resizing - execution terminated

The first run can be witnessed here:

http://tests.call-cc.org/master/linux/x86/2012/04/04/salmonella-report/test/channel.html

AFAIK this has happened ever since. I didn't look into it much because I
could never reproduce it. However, now that I've upgraded to Chicken
4.8.0.1 it started appearing on my machine, too. I've tried again with
4.8.0 and 4.7.0.6 and both still work fine. Then I noticed that
Salmonella runs on x86 while I run on x86_64 locally which might explain
the difference.

So I started experimenting to nail down the cause. This lead me to the
insight that passing -:hs with a value > 178 makes the tests pass
without a hitch. Passing anything lower than that makes them panic
again. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with this
information. Does anyone have a hint where to look or what to try next?

Knowing that finalizers can cause trouble I also tried experimenting
with the -:f option. This lead to even stranger results:

  * passing -:f100000 delays the panic until the very end of the test run
  * passing -:f1000 makes it fail a bit earlier
  * passing -:f10000 makes it fail even earlier (although the number is higher!)

I really don't know what to make from this either.

So again, any kind of ideas are greatly appreciated!

Moritz