Re: [Chicken-users] Askemos again; … better news ; still: Needs some sup

From: ianG
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Askemos again; … better news ; still: Needs some support/donation.
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:36:41 +0300

On 25/01/13 11:07 AM, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
On Jan 24 2013, Daniel Leslie wrote:

To fix the case I rather urgently need to find at least two locations,
where I dare to replicate my notes wrt. to my personal privacy.

I can possibly get you shell accounts in Austria. I can't guarantee the security or robustness, I don't use them myself because they tend to migrate faster than I can keep up.

One
already secured; so one more whom I can trust not to embarrass me by
leaking info taking as a "remembrance to myself".  Preferable outside
Germany.

I'm not sure if any of those are met ;)

Are you saying that you require access to a physical server outside of
Germany, on which you may bootstrap instances of Askemos to act as
replication peers?

Yes, Dan.  Thanks for your consideration.

Though I'd only need one user account, not the whole machine;
any port would do. Needs about 100M virtual memory under load.

So shell access is fine?  No VM needed?  Do you need root?

Also the immdiate need is fixed. The problem was a "not well
considered business decision".

Speaking of well considered business decisions - I have been mucking around with servers on the net for decades now, and have suffered and suffered from their unreliability from all many continuous causes. I recently made a break and did something a bit weird. I purchased a Mac Mini and I now host that as my personal server from my desk. This eliminates most all of my sysadmin, reliability, availability issues. The only issue left is whether I can host it on an IP# on the house connection. Although this has been up&down, the availability of the data/service *to me* has trumped all.

But that doesn't change the principled version of the problem:
there's an SPOF, which can not force the cloud off, but it *can*
prevent further updates until fixed.

There are two solutions to the SPOF: replication, or buying a highly reliable machine and doing backups. I'm using the second atm.

anyway, enough rambling, to work.

If so, I'm sorry to say that I'm stuck on a slow residential cable
line and

this is in fact how most of the peers run. A plug computer behind
customer grade aDSL. Currently there is a *single* chicken at a vhost
rented from an ISP. This serves the web; other replicas now to be
reenabled in dns.

For my backup needs to wrt. personal data this is perfect because
I know how to get this off the net if there was any sudden reason.
Any phone call or email would do. Can't do that with a vhost visible to
anybody who can access the ISP's backup.

haven't the cash to spare for the continuous operation of a server.
Between
my wife's tuition and the mortgage, we're rather tight for cash.

A friend has done the same as me with a Raspberry Pi, which is an order of magnitude cheaper, but is still a Linux box, so one trades capital investment for sysadm time :)

iang