Re: [Chicken-users] UTF-8 support in Chicken core [Was: [Q] uri-common h

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] UTF-8 support in Chicken core [Was: [Q] uri-common has problem with UTF-8 uri.]
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:34:40 +0900

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM, .alyn.post. <address@hidden> wrote:
I'll throw in my two bits here.

I'm not personally decided whether utf-8 in core would be an
improvement.  I don't have enough background or knowledge of
the internals to contribute to that decision.

I know there are people who want UTF-8 in the core, but I'd
rather not bring that up, because it hurts the chances of fixing
SRFI-14 :)

Core chicken already supports characters > 255.  SRFI-14
does not, and fails badly (reporting an error instead of just
#f to say the char is not in the char-set).

There is no reason (philosophical, API usability, code size,
runtime memory usage, runtime speed or whatever) why we
shouldn't fix this.

My personal recommendation (and least work for me) is to
replace srfi-14 with utf8-srfi-14 (which actually has nothing
to do with utf8).

--
Alex