Re: [Chicken-users] The odd case of the channel egg's tests failures

From: Moritz Heidkamp
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] The odd case of the channel egg's tests failures
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:34:59 +0100

Hey Felix,

thanks a lot for your ideas! I checked the channel code and found that
neither it nor one of its dependencies uses the FFI. The dependencies
are data-structures, extras, lolevel, srfi-1, srfi-18, srfi-69, and
miscmacros. Maybe some of the core units do use some FFI calls, I have
to check this. Anyway, I suspected that the weak locatives I use from
the lolevel unit may be the culprits but eliminating them from the code
still gives me the heap full while resizing error, so that's good. In
one place I set up a finalizer though, and removing that seems to make
it work (but the tests fail then, of course), i.e. I don't see the error
anymore. But this may very well be a false positive. The finalizer
itself doesn't look very suspicious to me. You can look at it here:
https://bitbucket.org/DerGuteMoritz/channel/src/47186067a3c7a0d4efba82ea9efb9de9adaf0be1/channel.scm?at=master#cl-301

Felix <address@hidden> writes:

> What I need now is someone encouraging me in such an effort,
> suggesting various improvements to that work-intensive and toilsome
> project and who offers reliable support and hacking time. To remain
> realistic, I would even be happy with someone commenting on just least
> one or two of these three requests...

This seems like a worthy addition to the Chicken debugging toolset but
also like a lot of work. I won't discourage you from persuing it, of
course, but I'm afraid I won't be able to help with actual hacking due
to my ignorance of the relevant internals and the lack of time to become
acquainted with them right now. However, I can contribute testing and
feedback time if that helps! I could also cheer from the sidelines, of
course.

GO GO CHICKEN TEAM

Moritz