Re: [Chicken-users] Wish list

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Wish list
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 08:09:33 -0500

Hi,

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 22:36:41 +0400 Aleksej Saushev <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have talked to a user, and he reminded me of my past experience of
> using Chicken in production environment around four years ago. While
> many things improved since then, there're still some I'd like to have.
>
> 1. Distribute eggs by HTTP(S) and/or FTP(S).
>
> Today I have "chicken-install -r", but it still is a specialized client.
> I don't quite understand what I can do if I'm in mildly hostile network
> where automatically configured proxy requires authentication mechanism
> chicken-install doesn't support.
>
> 2. Distribute eggs as source tarballs.
>
> In addition to (1) it would be nice if eggs were distributed as tarballs
> rather than individual files. In addition, such tarballs could be
> accompanied by cryptographic hash sums (individually per egg or as big
> list for the whole repository). These tarballs could even be signed, even.
>
> 3. Label eggs with their versions.
>
> It is unfortunate, that chicken-install still doesn't report egg version
> in any way. Did I overlook it? It would be nice, if eggs would follow
> common standard (eggname-x.y.z.tar.gz containing subdirectory eggname-x.y.z).
>
> 1-3 in conjunction would help paranoid people who want to track
> versioning information for various reasons (security, stability in field).
> (It would also help packagers and thus the community in whole due to
> better visibility. I hope we do agree that there're people who prefer
> using controlled installation rather than dumping random files into $PREFIX.)

Does http://code.call-cc.org/egg-tarballs look ok?  If I understand your
wishes correctly, it should address 1-3.

I've generated it with https://github.com/mario-goulart/egg-tarballs .
It took less than 3 minutes to create all the tarballs and less than 1
second on the second run (just checks if tarballs exist and create them
if they don't).  If it looks good enough, I can set it to run right
after henrietta-cache is finished.

Best wishes.
Mario
--