Re: [Chicken-users] New string manipulation module

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New string manipulation module
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:51:59 -0500

Hi Nicholas,

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:36:22 -0500 Nicholas Van Horn <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm new to Chicken (and scheme for that matter), but I'm eager to
> contribute. I've been working on several text processing projects for
> which I've ported an Emacs-lisp string manipulation library to
> Chicken.
>
> The "strings" module provides many convenient string manipulation
> procedures (including new procedures not ported from the original
> elisp library). Each procedure is documented with examples. Beyond
> their immediate convenience, (I think) they present the user with a
> consistent API for working with strings.
>
> I am eager to share this as an "official" egg, but being new to
> scheme I have likely violated common practices. I share the
> preliminary module here in the hopes that someone will find it
> useful. I welcome any feedback with respect to changes in
> implementation/behavior, as well as missing functionality that you
> would like to see added.
>
> The module is packaged to be distributed as an egg, but it is
> currently only available at:
>
> https://github.com/n3mo/strings

Very nice.  Thanks for sharing.

I really think you should make it available as an egg.  Although s may
not sound very appealing to users who already know the srfi-13 API, it
can still be useful for newcomers that know s and want to get started on
Scheme (or port some code for it) or even for those Scheme users that
for some reason don't like the API provided by srfi-13.

Some random comments:

* procedures from the data-structures unit are usually faster than the
  similar ones ones from srfi-13 (some of them provide similar
  features).  For example, I'd implement s-starts-with? using
  data-structures' substring-index[-ci] instead of srfi-13's
  string-prefix[-ci]?, or string-chomp for s-chop-suffix.

* maybe drop the dependency on the regex egg and use the built-in unit
  irregex?

* if you intend to publish your code as an egg, it would be nice to have
  the documentation in the Chicken Wiki format, so it can be indexed by
  chickadee (http://api.call-cc.org).

Best wishes.
Mario
--