Re: [Chicken-users] More thoughts on Ersatz

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] More thoughts on Ersatz
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 20:50:24 -0400

Ivan Raikov scripsit:

> 7) Name: 'tori' is a bit too generic, I think. Presumably German is the
> native language of Chicken, so I chose what I think expresses the nature of
> templates, yet is somewhat self-deprecating, as ersatz usually means 'poor
> substitute' in English and my native Bulgarian.

I think we picked up those semantics in World War I and II, when the
Central/Axis Powers were cut off from supplies of everything from coffee
to rubber and had to use very poor substitutes indeed.

--
You are a child of the universe no less         John Cowan
than the trees and all other acyclic            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan