Re: [Chicken-users] Is chicken supported on 32 bit Linux?

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Is chicken supported on 32 bit Linux?
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 23:25:35 +0200

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 07:20:14PM +0200, Peter Bex wrote:
> Well, possibly the tests are wrong (flonum equality is Hard).
> I'll have a look and see if this can be improved.
> If it's indeed an optimization that causes a small difference in
> flonums, it shouldn't cause any problems in practice so you should
> be able to compile with -O3 and have no trouble.

I just tested with -O3 on NetBSD/amd64 (gcc 4.5.3) and also on
Linux/i686 (Debian gcc 4.3.2-1.1) and all tests pass, with and
without DEBUGBUILD=1.

For now I'd say this is a problem with your particular gcc version.
If you or someone else can reproduce this and come up with a patch
that would be great.

You don't have to edit Makefiles BTW, you can easily force -O3 by running
gmake C_COMPILER_OPTIMIZATION_OPTIONS=-O3 ...
You can also pass OPTIMIZE_FOR_SPEED=1, which is a catchall setting.

If you want to let this stick around, config.make is the place to
add these settings.

Cheers,
Peter
--