Re: [Chicken-users] Multiple concurrent top levels?

From: Dan Leslie
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Multiple concurrent top levels?
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 09:13:51 -0700

On 8/2/2013 1:54 AM, J Altfas wrote:

I've used the embedding API to some extent, but I'm not sure about
"multiple toplevels".  It's unclear what "toplevel" environment(s)
you're referring to.  There's the C_toplevel and I'm pretty sure
there's only one of those.  The Scheme toplevel runs after
CHICKEN_run() is called, and can be stopped and resumed (by
return-to-host and CHICKEN_continue), but that doesn't say anything
about multiple, simultaneous, independent Scheme instances.

Yes, multiple, simultaneous and independent Scheme instances.

Maybe that's not what you're driving at.  What kind of "interaction"
do you mean, and what would it achieve?  I'm thinking it could be
difficult to get there directly, but perhaps there are other ways to
accomplish your goals.  More info about what you have in mind would
probably be helpful.

Extracting a scheme-object from one Scheme instance and passing it to another, for instance.

I've tried doing such things with multiple processes using a mix of shared memory objects and pipes, but it was ludicrously cumbersome, despite a few eggs I wrote to alleviate the process.

-Dan