Re: [Chicken-users] Supporting libraries on Windows

From: Tim Lavoie
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Supporting libraries on Windows
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 00:35:00 -0500

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 23:00:39 +0200
Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 03:50:21PM -0500, Tim Lavoie wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Hi there!
>
> > Is there a recognized "best" way to install C libraries where
> > they'll be found on Windows? For instance, the openssl egg requires
> > the OpenSSL libraries. On Linux, it's trivial to install the correct
> > libraries with development add-ons.
> >
> > Would the best plan be to:
> >
> >   1) Install native libs on Windows, then adapt egg install
> > parameters to find them?
> >
> >   2) Copy directly (from somewhere) into the Chicken-specific
> > include and lib directories?
> >
> >   3) Try to use those available under Cygwin?
>
> I'm also using a sort of odd system, which puts libraries in a
> nonstandard location.  What I often do is to pass the linker
> options to CHICKEN for finding the libraries through environment
> variables.  The advantage is that you don't need to mess around
> with egg setup files, and that dependencies are automatically
> installed correctly without having to interfere with the installation
> process.  Here's an example (from memory, may contain mistakes):
>
> CSC_OPTIONS="-L/usr/pkg/lib -rpath /usr/pkg/lib -I/usr/pkg/include"
> chicken-install blabla
>
> Another option is to simply add these flags in your config.make (which
> is intended for adding additions or overrides for your specific box),
> or set these variables when you invoke "make" to build CHICKEN.
>
> Since it's Windows, your option to copy the stuff might be
> acceptable as well, if there isn't really much of a system-wide
> installation path.
>
> It all depends on personal preference in combination with what's
> practical on your particular system, I guess.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks, the CSC_OPTIONS approach seems to be working. I have some
issues around the actual library, but not from a chicken point of view.
I really don't want to mess with egg setup files if I can avoid it.

  Cheers,
  Tim

--
There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull
by the tail and face the situation.