Re: [Chicken-users] Lowdown & sxml-serializer not working together

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Lowdown & sxml-serializer not working together
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 16:40:40 -0500

Matt,

On Aug 22, 2013, at 3:28 PM, Matt Gushee <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sounds good. I was actually hoping to be able to blame lowdown for
> this, since I don't really like the way it makes every word and every
> space a separate text node. But maybe that's more efficient? And
> actually, I'm wondering if that character-in-list construction:
>
>  '(#\space)
>
> is really allowed by the SXML spec. The narrative documentation
> doesn't address that, and I'm a bit out of practice reading EBNF, but
> maybe I can puzzle it out.

I've modified sxml-serializer in 0.3 to accept chars, symbols and nulls as text
nodes, and to accept text nodes in list head position.  This should allow it to
parse lowdown's variant of SXML.

> I note that lowdown
> outputs the '&' and '<' in string form, whereas the '>' becomes #\>.
> That seems like a peculiar inconsistency, but I suppose there's some
> reason for it.

Probably lowdown is using (abusing?) the fact that the
universal-conversion-rules only escape string text nodes, whereas characters
etc. are output verbatim; it's generally not necessary to escape the > sign.

Jim