[Chicken-users] ANN: civet 0.3.0 released

From: Matt Gushee
Subject: [Chicken-users] ANN: civet 0.3.0 released
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 19:35:35 -0600

Hello, all--

I am pleased to announce the release of version 0.3.0 of the civet
egg. This version has several bug fixes and a couple of interesting
new features (see below for description). Also, Mario: I would like to
change the category from 'xml' to 'web'. While the 'xml' designation
is technically correct--since the egg processes only XML templates,
but is not *necessarily* for the web--I am pretty sure the main
audience is web developers, and I want to ensure that they are aware
that civet exists.

WHAT'S NEW:
.
* Macros: Don't get *too* excited. Civet macros are only a pale
imitation of Scheme macros. But they allow you to define reusable
chunks of dynamic template markup.

* Loop interpolation: This is a method for inserting text or markup
*between* iterations of a for-loop. One simple case would be inserting
commas between words in a list. In fact, this system even handles the
following:

       A [and] B
       A [comma] B [comma] C [comma] [and] D

... albeit in a rather kludgey way.

* Uri-encoding in variable substitution. I.e., if you write:

  <cvt:var name="some_path" format="uri"/>

where 'some_path' has a value of "contains spaces ha ha", the result will be

  "contains%20spaces%20ha%20ha"

* Also, please note that I have bumped the template language version
to 0.2, and I have also changed the namespace URI from:

      http://xmlns.therebetygers.net/civet/0.1

  to:

      http://xmlns.therebetygers.net/civet/0.2

  This means that if you have written any templates and processed them
with the default namespace mapping, you need to either updated the
NSURI in your templates, or override the namespace mapping in your
application. The old template vocabulary should be completely
upwards-compatible with the new, so no other changes should be
required.

Finally, for anyone who is seriously interested in civet and would
like to influence its development, I have written a 'developer notes'
document, containing an informal discussion of some issues that are
bugging me. Please look for 'devnotes.md' in the Github repo
(https://github.com/mgushee/civet).

Hope you like civet, and let me know of any issues you encounter!

--
Matt Gushee