Re: [Chicken-users] Need to do an install, any changes in the pipe line

From: Thomas Hintz
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Need to do an install, any changes in the pipe line I should wait for?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 08:09:35 -0800

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 7:48 AM, Matt Welland <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm going to try getting Chicken 4.8.0.? installed in a corporate
> environment. This is not a nimble situation and if successful in getting the
> install approved I'll likely be stuck with that version for a long time.
> I've seen some messages on the chicken lists that look like some good
> progress on some important bugs. Should I wait a while before starting this
> process or is 4.8.0.5 a good target for the long term?

Cool! I'm jealous you even have that opportunity!

I use CHICKEN a lot for my own webapps and the main problem I've found
in using older versions of CHICKEN is in using eggs. You may want to
be very careful to keep the source around for each version of the eggs
you use in case an egg gets updated to be incompatible with the
CHICKEN version you are on and you may not be able to get the old
version after that. (Or maybe I missed a way to use chicken-install to
get old versions and their old dependencies?) You may also not want to
always be on the latest versions of eggs when setting up new
environments which would mean being careful about managing your own
versions of eggs; ie keep dev and production environments in sync
without always updating the production environment.