Re: [Chicken-users] Need to do an install, any changes in the pipe line

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Need to do an install, any changes in the pipe line I should wait for?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 16:27:22 -0500

Mario Domenech Goulart scripsit:

> If the user specified he/she wants intarweb 0.9, it makes little sense
> to me fetching version 1.0.  If egg-pack-sources were to guess
> combinations of versions that match egg requirements, another
> alternative would be fetching some previous spiffy version that accepts

Sure.  I was just saying that you now have sufficient logic to support
pulling versionless eggs in the correct versions relative to eggs whose
versions *are* specified.  I think this should be the default behavior
when at least one egg version is given, actually.  Why would you want
the latest versions of eggs when they are inconsistent with other eggs,
except in the situations where --force-versions is appropriate?  But if
you don't like that, you could have two new switches --latest-versions
(for the present behavior) and --consistent-versions (for the behavior
I am proposing).

> But in this particular case, I think the best thing to do is just abort
> and leave the decision to the user.

Fair enough: an explicit inconsistency without --force-versions should
abort with an error.

Another minor suggestion: a switch --install-script to specify the name of
install.sh, when you have multiple possibilities in the same egg directory.

--
First known example of political correctness:   John Cowan
After Nurhachi had united all the other         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan