Re: [Chicken-users] Need to do an install, any changes in the pipe line

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Need to do an install, any changes in the pipe line I should wait for?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 23:37:48 +0100

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 10:31:33PM +0000, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
> Eggs don't specify the exact version of dependencies they need.  You can
> specify a requirement like "at least <version>", but not "exactly <version>".
>
> So, as far as I can see, you always have a consistent set, unless eggs
> (or chicken-install) are broken.

Maybe I'm missing something (I haven't been paying very close attention
to this thread), but if you request an ancient version of spiffy it's
probably not going to work with the latest intarweb.  The meta files
can't express this, because that would be knowing what future versions
of an extension will break your code.

Bundler has fancy ways of specifying exactly what version of each egg
you want, but IIRC by default it just "nails down" the exact versions
you have installed right now.  This means you get an easy way to
reproduce the exact current situation.

Cheers,
Peter
--