Re: [Chicken-users] go routines for chicken

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] go routines for chicken
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 23:47:54 -0500

address@hidden scripsit:

> I recently stumbled over a package for Python that allows to use the
> golang go routines concurrency model (https://github.com/stuglaser/pychan).
>
> Is there anything comparable in Chicken Scheme? If not, how complicated
> would be to make such an implementation? I understand that Chicken only
> offers very limited threading capability.

Chicken doesn't support OS-level threads, but goroutines are green threads
(implemented in the userland) and as such are equivalent to SRFI 18
threads, which Chicken implements.  The mailbox egg provides the equivalent
of Go channels.

However, the Go runtime will exploit OS-level threads under the hood if a
goroutine blocks, and Chicken will not.

--
Real FORTRAN programmers can program FORTRAN    John Cowan
in any language.  --Ed Post                     address@hidden