Re: [Chicken-users] Problem with read-line

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Problem with read-line
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 00:04:29 -0500

Matt Gushee scripsit:

> It's not a bug, but rather a peculiarity of the Chicken
> implementation: most of the libraries that come with the distribution
> (I think it's everything that is not standard R5RS, or in the
> 'library' unit) need to be specifically included in compiled code but
> not in the REPL. I can't explain exactly why that is.

The Chicken interpreter isn't meant for application delivery, but for
debugging and convenience (it's slow, for one thing).  So it makes
sense to pre-load a lot of stuff into it.

The compiler, on the other hand, is all about not making the delivered
code larger than it has to be, and is about not polluting the namespace
with unwanted stuff.

--
Let's face it: software is crap. Feature-laden and bloated, written under
tremendous time-pressure, often by incapable coders, using dangerous