Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-iup - progressing nicely but have problem wi

From: Stephen Eilert
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-iup - progressing nicely but have problem with canvas-draw
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 13:58:31 -0200

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Matt Welland <address@hidden> wrote:
Ok, no takers on my lame attempt at a financial bribe for making the next chicken-iup so I took a stab at it myself. I've made pretty good progress, no doubt thanks to all the great work done by the Chicken devs, so far chicken 4.8.0.5 and iup have compiled and seem to run fine. I'm stuck at getting the canvas-draw egg installed. Does the error below mean anything to anyone? Thanks.

Note: one thing I did different is apply a patch to ffcall that claims to fix the trampoline conflict with windows executable protection. ffcall compiled fine and I doubt it is related to this issue but I thought I'd mention it.

I think the 'bribe' did not have anything to do with it. Some of us will gladly improve Chicken without any financial reward - but having a 'bounty' for open issues doesn't seem like a bad idea. Heck, I'd do it in exchange for booze! :)

I think the issue is that Chicken for the moment does not seem to enjoy much popularity on Windows. Having an installer could help mitigate some of that, but I am not sure it's the only requirement. Perhaps being able to compile with Microsoft's C compile would be better to ensure compatibility with existing libraries? I took a stab at it some time ago and found the build system to be a major pain, so I dropped the project.

That said, do you mind if I ask you what is it that you are working on which requires Windows? :)

-- Stephen