Re: [Chicken-users] Combine chicken-bin, libchicken-dev, libchicken6, in

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Combine chicken-bin, libchicken-dev, libchicken6, into a single "chicken" package?
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 22:05:50 +0000

 >> Could we make a metapackage, "chicken", to simplify installation on
 >> Debian/Ubuntu?

 > I think you need to contact the Debian project about that.

        There’s no need to change anything.  The way the dependencies
        are currently (as of Debian Sid) set up, installing just
        chicken-bin will also install all the other parts of Chicken.

 > They decided to split this up into such a weird fragmentation of
 > arbitrary packages.  IMHO, CHICKEN should be seen as a unit;
 > everything belongs together as one package.

        It isn’t weird, and it certainly does make sense from the system
        administration standpoint.

        The intent is that the users of Chicken-based applications in
        Debian may install only the libchicken6 package, and save some
        12.5 MiB (or ⅔ of the cumulative size) of filesystem space.
        (The fact that there isn’t a single Chicken-based application
        among the Debian’s 41 k packages is a different question.)

        This approach is also used for, I believe, the majority of other
        languages in Debian.  For instance, the libc6 package (which is
        rather essential for running applications written in C) is
        separate from both libc6-dev and gcc-4.8, which are necessary to
        /develop/ such applications.  Naturally, gcc-4.8 Recommends:
        libc6-dev, which, in turn, Depends: on libc6 (and also
        libc-dev-bin and linux-libc-dev), thus installing only the
        compiler will also (by default) install all the other packages.

--
FSF associate member #7257