Re: [Chicken-users] Wiki design

From: Matt Gushee
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Wiki design
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:20:35 -0700

Hello, Arthur and others--

So, what has happened with this? I was quiet on this subject
previously because I didn't have much to add, but I thought the
proposed design was a big improvement.

I'm writing today because, if anyone is still working on updating the
wiki, I have a feature request. Perhaps it's something I could
implement--though I haven't studied the code at all. But I thought
perhaps it was something that should be discussed a bit.

My proposal is, simply, to include a *mandatory* "last-updated" field
on every page.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated (and BTW, this is by no means
specific to Chicken Scheme--it's all over the flipping Internet) at
seeing technical and news articles whose relevance to current reality
cannot be determined because they are undated.

I suppose the theory is that, since it's a wiki, everyone will pitch
in to make sure the docs are always up to date. But it should be clear
by now that that doesn't always happen. If everything had a date on
it, then we would know to be skeptical of a 3-year-old document; or we
could reasonably assume that a 1-year-old page is more likely correct
than a 3-year-old one. And so on ...

PS: regarding the menu font--why not have a fallback[s]? If visitors
don't have Noto Sans, they may well have Ubuntu Sans; and if they're
using some weird OS and have neither, I'm sure comparable fonts can be
found for those other platforms? Or were you using @font-face?