Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] New egg: opengl-glew

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] New egg: opengl-glew
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 12:08:25 +0000

Hi Alex,

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 16:12:08 -0400 Alex Charlton <address@hidden> wrote:

> opengl-glew provides bindings to OpenGL’s core profile while handling
> extension loading with GLEW:
>
> https://github.com/AlexCharlton/chicken-opengl-glew
>
> There are two existing eggs that have some degree of overlap with this
> one. The opengl egg provides only the older fixed function pipeline
> API. OpenGL has changed the majority of its API since then, so it’s
> not useful for writing modern graphics programs. The allegro egg
> provides some more recent OpenGL bindings (they seem to have been last
> updated in 2012), but relies on Allegro which not everyone wants as a
> dependency.
>
> opengl-glew uses the widely used GLEW to handle its extension loading,
> making this egg immediately useful to most programmers who work with
> modern OpenGL. Further, it is guaranteed to always be up-to-date with
> the latest OpenGL core profile, because it downloads the glcorearb
> header file from opengl.org and uses it to generate its bindings. Some
> high-level convenience functions are also provided.
>
> Mario, could you please add this to the egg list:
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AlexCharlton/chicken-opengl-glew/master/opengl-glew.release-info

Cool.  Thanks a lot.  I've added your new egg to the coop.

I have a few notes, though.  I don't think downloading glcorearb.h at
install time is a good idea.  Here are some of the reasons:

* it'll probably make the life for system packagers a bit difficult,
  since it'll be hard to have a predictable source code based only on
  opengl-glew egg's version.  For example, glcorearb.h may change while
  opengl-glew is at the same version -- you'd have the same version for
  the package, but the source code may be different.

* people that fetch eggs source code to install on systems with no
  Internet connection will probably have a hard time installing
  opengl-glew.

* opengl-glew relies on wget.  AFAIK, it's not available on Windows by
  default.  I think this dependency should be mentioned on the
  documentation (probably in the "Requirements" section).

Best wishes.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario