Re: [Chicken-users] LevelDB bindings

From: Daniel Leslie
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] LevelDB bindings
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 16:58:06 -0700

set-finalizer! Is with considering for memory management as well.

On 20 Apr 2014 16:54, "Kristian Lein-Mathisen" <address@hidden> wrote:

Hey Caolan,

And welcome to the Chicken community! Your leveldb eggs seems pretty well written, nice work! Not much to comment on, but I'll put down what I noted as I quickly browsed through the code.

Have you looked at the bind egg? It may help you out with basic C++ bindings for things like class instantiation, methods and fields.

In your leveldb.setup file, you can use capital -j and leave out the module name.

In you call-with-db definition, you could probably do the same with less code using dynamic-wind.

And a quick note on naming conventions. I noted you've got things like strings->slice, where the return value needs to be freed with delete-slice. Since that's just private api, I'm sure you'll get away with it. I wonder though, if there's a a way to indicate you need to be careful. Perhaps a % prefix or * postfix might be suitable.

Or perhaps a call-with-slice convention that always deletes with dynamic-wind might be suitable? I don't know its performance properties, though.

Same for check-status, which deletes its argument with delete-status. Perhaps a ! postfix, ie "check-status!"?

I hope I can get to play around with leveldb and thus egg at some point! Thanks for your contribution!

K.