Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] opengl-glew version 0.4.0

From: Alex Charlton
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] opengl-glew version 0.4.0
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 08:39:07 -0400

Kristian Lein-Mathisen writes:

> Exciting work, Alex!

Thanks!

> I'm really looking forward to look into this. Hoping I'll have time to do
> so now. And I'm glad the glm egg was useful, even with the documentation
> lacking as it is. gl-math looks nice and lightweight, did you write
> hypermath.c yourself?

hypermath.c is indeed written by me. It’s no doubt not as thoroughly tested as
GLM, so there might be some bugs lurking. So far it has worked well for me,
though.

> Do you have some insight on how much work is needed to make the opengl-glew
> egg compile for OpenGL ES?

Hm, opengl-glew was certainly not written with ES in mind. As far as I know,
GLEW provides no support for ES. A true OpenGL ES egg (let’s call it opengl-es)
could likely be very easily made by copying opengl-glew.scm, removing the
references to GLEW, and creating a gl.h file from
http://www.khronos.org/registry/gles/api/GLES3/gl31.h via gl-translator.scm
(the sort of operation that is done in opengl-glew’s setup file). If this were
done, then it would probably make sense to split gl-math and gl-utils off into
separate eggs, as well as move the additional definitions made in
opengl-glew.scm into gl-utils. I’m not sure how you’d get rid of the dependency
to opengl-glew in gl-utils, though – since presumably you’d want it to depend
on opengl-es if that were the platform being used. In any case, if this is
something that you’d like to work on, let me know and we can coordinate our
efforts.

--
Alex