Re: [Chicken-users] New egg: physics

From: Alex Charlton
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New egg: physics
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 18:23:48 -0400

Richard writes:

> I would like to announce my first egg: physics. It is a more high-level
> wrapper to the brilliant Chipmunk2D physics library.
>
> Some highlights include:
>
> - The possibility of passing regular Chicken functions as callbacks.
> - Using regular Chicken objects as user data.
> - Garbage collection.
> - The possibility of optionally using 'map' instead of Chipmunk's
> iterator functions.
>
> Things left to do are:
> - More testing and adding some unit tests.
> - Finishing the documentation and adding some examples.
>
> If you want to take a look, the source can be found at:
> https://github.com/pluizer/chicken-physics
> <https://github.com/pluizer/chicken-physics>
>
> A more low-level wrapper to Chipmunk is required and can be found at:
> https://github.com/pluizer/chicken-chipmunk
> <https://github.com/pluizer/chicken-chipmunk>
>
> The documentation can be found at:
> https://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/physics
> <https://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/physics>
>
> As this is my first egg I might have done things wrongly or suboptimal,
> any pointers are welcome.
>
> thanks,
> Plui(j)zer (I'm trying to get rid of that j)

Looking good, Plui( )zer!

Have you thought about releasing your egg as an Official Chicken Extension™?
You’re most of the way there, and it makes it a lot easier for other Chicken
users to install, as well as allows the egg to become a dependency for other
eggs. Check out this page for instructions:

http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggs%20tutorial

It seems as though all you’ll need to do is amend your setup file to add a
version, add a bit more information to the meta file, and add a release-info
file. After that, just ask to have your egg added.

On the subject of amending your setup file, you should think about using
Chicken tools for your compilation rather than using a Makefile (in fact, this
might be a requirement for being added to the Coop, I’m not sure). The example
that’s in that wiki page I linked shows how this can be done. It will simplify
things a fair amount. Additionally, since your physics.import.scm file is
generated from physics.scm, there’s no real reason to have it in your repo.

And of course, all this goes for your chicken-chipmunk repo as well.

Not sure if you saw it (since it’s not in the egg index) but acorn might be of
interest to you, since it tackles the same problem. From a cursory glance, it
seems as though you have solved some things that it has not, though:

https://github.com/kristianlm/acorn

I look forward to trying your egg out!

--
Alex